Asian Noodle Salad
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, trimmed and minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup Thai fish sauce or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Vietnamese or Thai chili paste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6 ounces Chinese wheat or buckwheat noodles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cups diced cooked shrimp or lobster (optional)
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 2 carrots, cut into matchstick slivers
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into matchstick slivers
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, plus 4 whole sprigs for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh Thai or regular basil leaves, cut into slivers
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, cut into slivers
- 2 jalapeno chilies or to taste, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanut
- Combine dressing ingredients in bowl, and whisk until honey dissolves.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Set aside.
- Cook noodles in boiling salted water until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain in colander, rinse with cold water until cool, and drain.
- Place noodles in salad bowl; toss with oil.
- Stir in shrimp or lobster (if using), bean sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cucumber, cilantro leaves, basil, mint and half the chilies.
- Stir in dressing.
- Divide noodles among 4 plates, sprinkle with peanuts, and garnish with reserved chilies and cilantro sprigs.