Arni Fricase Me Kremmithakia Ke Maroulia (Lamb Fricassee) Recipe
- 5 lb Shoulder or possibly back of lamb
- 3/4 c. Butter
- 10 x Scallions Water as needed Coarse salt
- 3 x Heads of lettuce
- 2 Tbsp. Dill, minced (or possibly to taste) Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 x Egg yolks
- 2 x Lemons, juice only
- Cut lamb into serving-size strips.
- Place in pot with the butter.
- Clean scallions; chop the white part into small pieces.
- and the greens into larger ones (abt.
- 1 1/2" long); add in to meat.
- Add in 1/2 c. water and a little coarse salt; cook over med.
- heat for abt.
- 1 hr.
- Clean lettuce and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- As soon as meat has absorbed the water it will begin to brown in the butter but don't let the scallions brown.
- Add in dill, lettuce, salt & pepper.
- Cover pot and simmer over low heat for abt.
- 15 minutes.
- If it is needed, add in a little water toward the end of the cooking time (not in the beginning, because then the lettuce will exude water).
- Beat egg yolks with 2 tb.
- of water, add in the juice from the lemons, and beat it in well.
- Add in a little of the liquid from the pot, beating constantly.
- Pour this sauce back into the pot and shake the pot gently to mix the sauce with the food.
- Serve immediately.