- 14 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well-beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups coarsely grated raw peeled apples (any kind)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
- 23 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees, and grease and flour an 8- by 5-inch loaf pan.
- Cream shortening and sugar together until fluffy; beat in eggs.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, alternating with portions of the grated apple.
- Stir in lemon peel and walnuts.
- The batter will be stiff.
- Spoon into prepared pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean and top is nicely browned.
- Cool thoroughly; do not slice until cold.