Etta'S Hungarian Coffee Cake
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. flour
- 1/3 c. shortening
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 c. sour milk (add 1 Tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice to sour 1 c. milk)
- Mix sugar and shortening.
- Add flour and salt until it crumbles.
- Put aside 1/2 cup of this mixture for topping.
- Add egg to remainder.
- Add soda and baking powder to sour milk, then mix everything together.
- Sprinkle crumbs on top.
- (Optional: Sprinkle cinnamon and ground nuts on top.)
- Bake for 35 minutes in a 9-inch cake pan or pie plate.