- olive oil
- 1/2 peeled eggplant, 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 zucchini, 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 large can plum tomatoes
- 1 to 2 lb. fresh plum tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. basil
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. fennel seed
- 1/2 c. flat leaf parsley
- 1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans (dark red), drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained
- Saute eggplant and zucchini in some oil until tender (7 to 8 minutes).
- Transfer to large Dutch oven.
- Saute onions, garlic and peppers until tender (10 minutes).
- Transfer to the Dutch oven. Add both types of tomatoes, spices and parsley.
- Cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Add kidney beans and peas; cook another 15 minutes.
- Stir and adjust seasonings.
- Garnish with sour cream and/or grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese.
- Yields 6 to 8 servings.