Crawfish Pie Filling
- 3 lb. crawfish tails
- 1 stick margarine
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 bunches shallots, chopped (keep tops separated)
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 c. celery
- 3 Tbsp. tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt margarine.
- Add flour and brown lightly.
- Add garlic, onion, shallot bottoms, green pepper, celery and tomato sauce. Cover and fry about 1 hour.
- Add 3 cups water and simmer for several hours.
- Mixture should be creamy and thick when tails and fat are added.
- Add tails and fat.
- Cook 15 minutes, until it tails are tender.
- If mixture thins, thicken by adding 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with 1/4 cup water.
- Add onion tops and parsley. Pour into pie shell or serve or rice.