Moravian Sugar Cake
- 1 c. mashed potatoes
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 pkg. yeast
- 1 c. lukewarm potato water
- 2/3 c. melted butter or margarine
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 to 4 1/2 c. flour
- 1/4 lb. butter
- 1 c. brown sugar
- Stir 1 cup of sugar into potatoes.
- Dissolve yeast in water. Add melted butter or margarine, salt and beaten eggs.
- Stir well. Add flour and mix well.
- Let rise until doubled.
- Spread evenly in 4 greased pans (8 x 8-inch).
- Let rise 1 hour.
- Punch evenly spaced holes in dough (9 holes per pan).
- Put small slice of butter in each hole and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned.