- 4 c. sauerkraut
- 1/2 medium cabbage
- 1 lb. pork meat without bone
- 7 oz. sausage
- 2 oz. smoked bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 3 Tbsp. fat
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cloves garlic
- bay leaf
- 3 dried Polish mushrooms
- 5 Tbsp. thick tomato preserves (substitute sauce or paste)
- Cut sauerkraut several times.
- Cover with water and parboil in uncovered pot.
- Rinse cabbage and shred.
- Cover with small amount of water; add mushrooms and garlic and cook in uncovered pot. Rinse pork; cut into cubes.
- Salt and saute in fat until brown. Add to sauerkraut and add seasoning.
- Cook slowly.
- Cut bacon into cubes; melt the cubes without browning.
- Add to sauerkraut. Remove skin from sausage and cut into large cubes.
- When sauerkraut and meat are cooked, add sausage and cooked cabbage. Cook sliced onion in fat; add flour and prepare roux (cooked flour and fat mixture used as thickening agent).
- Garnish bigos with the roux and season to taste.
- Cook on slow fire.
- There should be very little sauce in the Bigos.