- medium to large cucumbers
- cold water
- celery or slices of onions
- 2 c. vinegar
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. water
- 1/3 c. salt
- Take medium to large cucumbers.
- Cut lengthwise.
- Soak several hours (3 to 4) in cold water and then drain.
- Use either celery or slices of onions with as much dill as you wish, or dill can be used alone.
- Pack in jars.
- Heat vinegar, sugar, water and salt.
- Boil well.
- Pour over pickles hot.
- Drain; reheat and pour over pickles again.
- This juice is enough for about 2 quarts.
- Sometimes, I do not drain the juice; heat and pour over pickles again.
- The pickles turn out great and this recipe using celery and dill has been passed on to many people.
- Use hot water bath until pickles turn color.