- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. light corn syrup
- 1 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 2 (1 oz.) sq. unsweetened chocolate
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate bits
- Lightly oil inside of heavy 2-quart saucepan.
- Combine water and corn syrup in pan.
- Cook over moderate heat until mixture boils.
- Remove from heat.
- Add sugars, chocolate and nutmeg.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until sugars are completely dissolved and chocolate is melted.
- Wipe down sugar crystals above liquid line, using clean pastry brush dipped in cold water.
- Cook without stirring, until mixture boils.
- Wipe down sugar crystals.
- Clip on candy thermometer.
- Cook over moderate heat of 260° (hard ball stage).