Quick Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp. double acting baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. shortening
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. grated lemon rind
- 1 to 2 beaten eggs
- 1 to 1 1/4 c. ripe banana pulp
- 1/2 c. broken nutmeats (optional)
- 1/4 c. finely chopped apricots (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Have all ingredients at about 75°. Sift flour before measuring.
- Measure flour and add baking powder and salt to it.
- In a separate bowl, blend until creamy the shortening, sugar and lemon rind.
- Beat into this mixture 1 to 2 beaten eggs and 1 to 1 1/4 cups ripe banana pulp.
- Add the sifted ingredients in about 3 parts to the sugar mixture.
- Beat the batter after each addition until smooth.
- Fold in optional ingredients now, if desired.
- Place batter in a greased bread pan. Bake the bread for about 1 hour or until done.
- Cool before slicing.