- 1 c. cornmeal
- 1 c. milk
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 3/4 c. boiling water
- 1/2 lb. sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 Tbsp. butter or oleo
- Combine cornmeal, milk, sugar and salt.
- Gradually stir into boiling water; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook, covered, over low heat about 10 minutes.
- Crumble sausage finely; add to cornmeal mixture.
- Pour into loaf pan.
- Cover and chill. To serve, cut scrapple into 1/3-inch thick slices; dip in flour. Fry slowly in butter for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup, if desired.