Banana Raisin Muffins
- 1/2 c. golden raisins
- 1/4 c. apple or orange juice
- 1/2 c. low-fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs whites
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1 1/2 c. unbleached white flour
- 1/3 c. stone-ground white cornmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 2 ripe bananas, diced
- Combine raisins and apple juice in a large bowl and let stand for five minutes.
- Add buttermilk, egg whites, oil and honey; whisk until smooth.
- Sift the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda into another large bowl.
- Whisk in brown sugar, ginger and cardamom.
- Add bananas and toss lightly.
- Add dry ingredients to buttermilk mixture and stir just to mix with a wooden spoon.
- (Stir as little as possible, or the muffins will be tough.)
- Line muffin tin cups with paper liners and spray lightly with vegetable oil spray.
- Spoon batter into cups, filling each two-thirds full.
- Bake at 375° for 20 to 30 minutes, until puffed and lightly browned.
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Makes 12 muffins.