Watermelon Rind Pickles
- 7 lb. watermelon rind
- 7 c. sugar
- 2 c. apple vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. oil of cloves
- 1/2 tsp. oil of cinnamon
- Trim off green and pink parts of watermelon rind; cut to 1-inch cubes.
- Parboil until tender, but not soft.
- Drain. Combine sugar, vinegar, oil of cloves and oil of cinnamon; bring to boiling and pour over rind.
- Let stand overnight.
- In the morning, drain off syrup.
- Heat and put over rind.
- The third morning, heat rind and syrup; seal in hot, sterilized jars.
- Makes 8 pints.
- (Oil of cinnamon and clove keeps rind clear and transparent.)