School Girl Pickles(Sweet Spear)
- 14 tsp. alum
- 12 lb. cucumbers (whole)
- 9 c. water
- 1 c. salt
- 8 lb. sugar
- pickling spice
- Soak cucumbers 2 weeks in salt water.
- After 2 weeks, wash and soak overnight in plain water.
- Cut lengthwise and soak in alum water for 6 hours.
- Drain off alum water and slightly rinse with cold water.
- Heat enough vinegar to cover to the boiling point. Cover cucumbers and let stand for 24 hours.
- Drain off vinegar (don't wash).
- Place layer of cucumbers and a layer of sugar until all are used.
- Add spices tied in a bag in the middle of cucumbers and let stand for 3 days.
- They are now ready to put in jars or any large covered container.