- 1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- pinch of salt
- Cut butter into small pieces and set aside to warm to room temperature.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch square (not glass) baking pan with butter and set aside.
- Sift together dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Add the butter pieces and rub in with fingers. Knead mixture gently to make a soft dough.
- Press into the prepared pan and flatten, using fingertips.
- Prick all over with a fork and bake in a preheated 325° oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a pale golden color.
- Cool slightly, sprinkle with a little granulated sugar and cut into 1 x 2-inch fingers.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.