All-American Apple Pie
- pastry for double pie crust
- 6 c. thinly sliced cooking apples
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (optional)
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- dash of ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- If apples lack tartness, sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- In mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg (for a very juicy pie, omit the flour).
- Add sugar mixture to the sliced apples; toss to mix.
- Fill pastry-lined pie plate with apple mixture; dot with butter or margarine.
- Cut slits in top crust for escape of steam; place pastry atop filling.
- Seal and flute edge.
- Sprinkle some sugar atop, if desired.