Cheeseburger Potato Soup
- 6 baking potatoes
- 1 lb. of extra lean ground beef
- 2/3 c. butter or margarine
- 6 c. milk
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 c (6 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 12 sliced bacon, cooked, crumbled and divided
- 4 green onion, chopped and divided
- 1 (8 oz.) carton sour cream (optional)
- Wash potatoes; prick several times with a fork.
- Microwave them with a wet paper towel covering the potatoes on high for 6-8 minutes.
- The potatoes should be soft, ready to eat.
- Let them cool enough to handle.
- Cut in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp and reserve.
- Discard shells.
- Brown ground beef until done.
- Drain any grease from the meat.
- Set aside when done.
- Meat will be added later.
- Melt butter in a large kettle over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in potato, ground beef, salt, pepper, 1 cup of cheese, 2 tablespoons of green onion and 1/2 cup of bacon.
- Cook until heated (do not boil).
- Stir in sour cream if desired; cook until heated (do not boil).
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese, bacon and green onions.