- 1 bucket turnip greens
- 1 c. bacon grease
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- Wash greens in cold water to remove grit or any dirt.
- In a large pot filled 3/4 full of water, add the bacon grease and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add the greens by the handful to the pot, letting them have a
- little time to start to cook down before adding more.
- When pot is full, you will need to poke the greens down for a few minutes as they like to come to the top of the pot and run over.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to the greens to take the bitterness out.
- Cook at a boil until greens are tender, perhaps a half hour.
- Drain well.
- While greens are draining in the colander, cut them up using two knives.