- 1 1/2 c. dry beans
- 3/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 3 Tbsp. melted meat drippings
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1 heaping Tbsp. sugar
- Look over beans and remove all split beans and gravel (if any).
- Rinse well.
- Put into 2 to 3-quart saucepan.
- Add ginger; bring to boil and cover with lid.
- Cook until beans have swollen and turned color, about 1 hour.
- Add grease and salt and continue to cook, keeping water about 1-inch above beans at all times.
- When beans begin to get tender, add sugar and cook until very tender.