Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 c. shortening (Wesson)
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 c. sweet milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla flavoring
- 3 c. self-rising flour
- Mix sugar and flour.
- Add shortening and blend until smooth. Beat about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs; beat 1 minute.
- Add flavoring last.
- Beat about 3 minutes with electric mixer.
- Line pan with wax paper and grease well.
- Bake at 400° for about 15 minutes.
- Makes 3 layers.
- Stack with seven minute icing.
- Place strawberries on top of cake and let run down sides of cake.
- Very good.