Moist Devil'S Food Cake
- 2 c. sifted flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. shortening
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 c. cocoa
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. milk
- Sift together the flour, soda and salt; set aside.
- Combine shortening and sugar in a bowl.
- Beat until creamy.
- Add egg yolks; beat well.
- Combine cocoa, water and vanilla to make 1 cup; mix well.
- Add to batter.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk.
- Beat well after each addition; set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form when beater is lifted.
- Fold into batter. Bake in two 9-inch greased cake pans at 375° for 30 minutes.