One-Rise Monkey Bread
- 3 to 3 1/2 c. unsifted all-purpose or bread flour
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 1 c. very warm water (120~ to 130~)
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c. butter or margarine
- poppy seed (optional)
- Grease a 12-cup fluted tube pan or a 10-inch tube pan.
- In large bowl blend 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt, yeast, water, margarine and egg at low speed until moistened.
- Beat three minutes at medium speed.
- Stir in remaining flour by hand.
- Knead dough on floured surface until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Press or roll dough to 15 x 12-inch rectangle.
- Using sharp knife, cut dough into diamond-shaped pieces by cutting into 2 inch strips diagonally across dough.
- In shallow pan melt 1/3 cup butter.
- Dip each piece of dough in melted butter and place in prepared pan, making layers. Sprinkle each layer with poppy seeds.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan 2 minutes.
- Invert into serving pan.
- Makes a 10-inch pull apart loaf.