- 2 bunches green onion, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 lb. butter
- 2 pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 lb. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 lb. Feta cheese, crumbled
- 8 eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 lb. phyllo pastry sheets
- melted butter or margarine
- Saut onions in butter until soft.
- Add spinach and saut a few minutes longer; cool.
- Add cream cheese, Feta, eggs, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Place 10 layers of phyllo pastry sheets in a 12 x 16 x 2-inch pan, brushing each sheet well with melted butter. Add spinach mixture, then place another 10 layers of phyllo, buttering each sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Cut into squares before serving.
- You can brush the spanakopeta with a slightly beaten egg before baking for a nice luster.
- I use margarine as all butter is very rich.