- 1 1/3 c. flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. soda
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 3/4 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 c. milk (more if batter is too thick)
- oil (for frying)
- powdered sugar
- Sift first 5 ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix egg and milk together; add to dry ingredients.
- Beat until smooth.
- Hold finger over bottom of a funnel; pour in some batter.
- Remove finger to let batter drop.
- Drop batter in a spiral motion into pan filled with 1 inch of hot oil (375°).
- Fry until golden brown, turning once.
- Remove from pan; drain on a paper towel.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve hot.