Betsy'S Chocolate Fudge Cake
- 3 sq. unsweetened chocolate
- 2 1/4 c. sifted flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. butter
- 2 1/4 c. packed light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 c. boiling water
- Melt chocolate in small bowl over hot water; cool.
- Grease and flour 2 to 3 (9-inch) cake pans.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt onto wax paper.
- Beat butter until soft in large bowl.
- Add brown sugar and eggs; beat with mixer at high speed until light and fluffy (5 minutes).
- Beat in vanilla and chocolate.
- Stir in dry ingredients, alternating with sour cream.
- Beat well with wooden spoon after each addition.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
- Pour into pan and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Cool pans on rack for 10 minutes; turn out on racks.
- Cool completely and ice with Chocolate Fudge Frosting.