- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 6 c. beef broth
- 1/4 c. white wine
- 4 to 8 slices French bread
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 c. grated Swiss cheese
- Cook onions in butter and oil for 15 minutes in Dutch oven; stir occasionally.
- Add sugar and cook 15 minutes until onions are brown.
- Sprinkle onions with flour; blend in hot broth, wine and seasonings.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Lightly toast garlic bread in 350° oven for 20 minutes.
- Baste each slice with 1/2 teaspoon oil and garlic.
- Serve soup with toast floating on the soup. Sprinkle the toast with cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot. Makes 4 to 8 servings.