- 16 pears, peeled, cored and ground
- 6 medium onions, ground
- 8 green peppers, ground
- 4 sweet red peppers, ground
- 2 hot peppers, ground
- 6 c. vinegar (5% acidity)
- 6 c. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. mustard seed
- 2 Tbsp. pickling salt
- 1 Tbsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- Let pears, onions and peppers stand in separate containers for 1 hour. Pour boiling water over each; drain well.
- Combine pears, onion, peppers, vinegar, sugar and seasonings in a large kettle. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Pour hot mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles and wipe jar rims.
- Cover at once with metal lids and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
- Let stay in a cool place for 1 month before using.
- Chill before serving.
- Makes 10 pints.