- 1 qt. carrots, diced
- 2 qt. onions, chopped
- 1 qt. celery, diced
- 1 lb. green split peas
- 2 qt. tomato puree
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 gal. of water
- 10 oz. smoked ham
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 oz. marjoram
- 1 oz. basil
- 1 oz. oregano
- 1 oz. thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 oz. curry powder (we use Javin Brand)
- Salt and pepper
- Soak the split peas overnight.
- In a large pot (preferably 3-4 gallons) heat a small amount of oil until very hot.
- Add the carrots, onions and celery and sweat the vegetables.
- Add the garlic and sweat a few more minutes.
- Add the curry powder to the vegetables and stir until curry is thoroughly mixed with the vegetables.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Bring this to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for approximately three hours. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Remove the bay leaves and puree the soup through a food mill or in an electric blender. Chill thoroughly.
- This is the base for Chippewa Soup.
- It should be slightly salty because it is the base and needs to be creamed before use.